Fresh Bagels in Costa Rica
At Bagel Kitchen Costa Rica we bake our delicious varieties of bagels fresh daily, using only all-natural ingredients. From our homemade jams created with local fruits to our savory bagel sandwiches loaded with fresh veggies and meats, we take the time to make them perfect in every bite. Now, with 2 locations to serve you in Potrero & Playa Grande. This is our story…
During a three week RV trip from Iowa to Alaska in May of 2015, we reconnected with younger versions of ourselves – the dreamers, the entrepreneurs, and wanderlusters. We knew we were living a blessed life and we were truly grateful for all we had. But, we were also feeling restless and bogged down by all that we had. We yearned for adventure, a different way of life, and a simpler, more authentic existence that gave us more quality time together.
In December 2016, after 6 months of preparation, we took the plunge. We left our jobs, rented our house, sold most of our belongings and took a huge risk in order to have the adventure of a lifetime and set a course for a new way of living.
After settling in to our new home in Costa Rica, we began experimenting with bagel recipes to fill the gap in the community – no bagels anywhere! It wasn’t long before kitchen experiments turned into a tiny business providing fresh bagels to friends. Then, it was more than friends – then, Bagel Kitchen Costa Rica was born. We opened our first shop in beautiful Playa Grande, mere meters from the sand. Roughly a year later, our 2nd location in Potrero opened to serve the bustling family community of Surfside.
We still find time to appreciate the Pura Vida lifestyle we sought, live more simply & even catch waves every chance we get. Come by and see us!
Marc & Shannon Schulz
- Garlic Salt
- Sesame, Plain
- Chocolate Chip
- Cinnamon Raisin
- Plain Cream Cheese
- Sweet Cinnamon Cream Cheese
- Avocado Spread
- Goat Chevre
- Peanut Butter
- Fresh fruit jams
Fresh Brewed Coffee, Cold Brew Coffee, Juices, Kombucha, Iced Tea
Tips for Bagels and Bagel Chips
- To save your bagels for 1-2 days, place in an airtight container at room temperature (do not place in the fridge).
- To keep your bagels for a week (or longer) place the airtight container into the freezer. You may wish to pre-slice them, this allows you to place the frozen bagel directly into the toaster. Otherwise, place the whole frozen bagel on a counter for 10-15 minutes, then slice and toast.
- While our bagel chips are great for dipping in cheeses and mustards, they also make excellent croutons and breadcrumbs.
- Both the Dos Pinos and the Monteverde cream cheeses are quality products. The Monteverde has a consistency that is similar to Philadelphia Cream Cheese.
- The plain bagel, as well as the cinnamon bagels, make great French Toast.
- Special orders can be picked up at the Bagel Kitchen Potrero or at Tamarindo Coffee Roasters or Pots & Bowls in Playa Grande.
- Guarantee your flavors and enjoy a free 6th bagel when you order five bagels by 10am the day before.
- Do you live in the area? Consider our monthly membership for a weekly order of 6 bagels at the price of $10 (prepay four order – 24 mil)
- Simply select and complete the order form
The Garlic Sea Salt ones are off the chart. I hope you have 10 for me at the feria today.
These homemade bagels hit the spot every time. Our favorite is the garlic salt, but no matter the topping, the texture and flavor is the best you’ll find. We even froze some of ours and they thawed out to be just as delicious. Great guys and fantastic bagels. We are so happy to have these guys in town!